Saturday, March 13, 2010

Things not to say to a single woman (a perhaps a single man).

Wellllllllll............when you've been single as long as I've been, you think you've seen and heard it all. All kinds of friends, family, clients and strangers can see us single people as those needing direction and guidance. Let me just share with you (and maybe even entertain you) on things that single people really don't care to hear. Now, I realize that many people say things with good intentions, but when you've heard certain things over and over and over again, well, it gets old.

So here is my list of comments that are overkill for a single person.

1. I can't believe someone hasn't snatched you up yet. Yeah, the eighth wonder of the world is that I'm still single. I'm not sure I really want to be "snatched" up. I hope to be wooed, maybe romanced (at least for the first two dates). "Snatched" sounds like I will end up on a milk carton. No one wants to be known as "that person who was on a milk carton."

2. If you want to meet someone, you're going to have to move to a bigger city. OK, maybe where I live doesn't have a plethora of single people. I have friends who do live in metropolitan areas and they are single. I'm not sure that there's a direct correlation between living in a highly populated area and finding a mate for life. Besides, keep in mind that sometimes we single people like where we live. Maybe we have great friends, family, a career we love and value that enough to stay where we are.

3. If I were single, I'd be all over you. OK, this seems like a compliment, but it really isn't. The compliment can't go anywhere. No one wants to hear about "what might have been had we met 20 years ago." And here's the kicker, when the person saying this does become available, they suddenly aren't interested. (I know this from experience.......) So you're screwed either way!

4. Upon breaking up with someone: He or she wasn't good enough for you. Or: I knew it wasn't going to go anywhere. Alright, if the break up is still fairly new, sometimes we still have feelings for this person. Insulting the person we just got dumped by doesn't really do much to bring us up. And sharing your "remarkable intuition" about the longetivy of the relationship (or lack of) is unnecessary.

5. You know what you should do......... I have to honest, one of my least favorite words in the English language (and probably any other language) is the word "should". "Should" can come across as condescending as if you are implying that we single people don't have the brains or the skills to conduct our lives. Actually, you might be surprised of all the things we are capable of accomplishing. And please be aware of one thing, we may not have asked for advice. Sometimes, we just need someone to listen and listen some more.

6. It's going to be hard for you to find someone, you're just too special. OK, how can I say this....... PUKE! Are you kidding me? And that's supposed to make us feel good, why? Basically a comment like says, "If I tell you you are special, you won't feel bad about being single". Guess what, sometimes after watching married people together, we are relieved to be single.

7. I'm glad I'm not other there dating in this day in age. OK, while that may be true, how does that help?? Let me put it this way, it doesn't. Single people are very aware of the challenges of dating in this time in history. We don't need to be reminded. What amuses me, is that people who can't relate to dating in this day in age, seem to have a lot of advice for us.

8. Are you married yet? OK, would you ever go up to a married person and say, "Are you divorced yet?" Probably not, that would be ridiculous. So why say it to us single folk? We have plenty of things going on in our lives that make for much more riveting conversation. Pick another topic of conversation or we will do it for you!

9. You need to hurry up and start having kids. Well, I can only speak for women here, but we are well aware of the age of our ovaries! We don't need an outsider expressing concern about our reproductiveness or lack of. Also, keep in mind, saying this to any woman, married or single, can open a can of worms you don't want opened. Many women want children, but may have issues conceiving. This is a private issue. If a woman wants you to know something, she will tell you.

Now many of us would like to have life long companion. But the good news it that we aren't sitting around doing nothing waiting for this to happen. We are out experiencing life, making contributions to society and probably having a lot of fun doing it.

My suggestion for those who love to give advice is to use that energy to enhance your own relationships.

1 comment:

  1. I hope I wasn't one that said any of these things!! If I could offer just one thing to say that should be safe no matter what your relational status. " I hope that life has given you what you've wanted, and if not tell me what you wish for so that I may offer up some prayer for you to achieve it!!"
    Thanks for the insight! I will keep it in mind as a offer wisdom to my single friends.

    ReplyDelete